Skip to main content

Be a model 21st Century learner

I remember when a friend graduated from college with her teaching degree, she received a mug that said something similar to “I will not shout in class, I will not throw things, I will not have a temper tantrum. I will be good because I am the teacher,” Of course it is hilarious, but it is also the truth: you have to model the way you want people (using this term loosely with teenagers) in your class to act.

Through the years my teaching has changed as has the technology I use to teach. Going from a chalkboard to a whiteboard was terrific, but wow the overhead projector! I didn’t have to stand with my back to my class, and this was a much better way to teach. I have also always been an early adopter of technology. I used a computer with a 5 ¼ floppy disc to type up papers in college. I was in awe of the WWW and had the opportunity to use it in a job after college. I also used a computer to help with my productivity workflow as a teacher and I was awarded a Gates Grant so I could bring computers into my classroom.

Has any of this changed my practice as much as the overhead projector did early on in my career? How am I teaching differently? I have been pondering this more this year since becoming a coach for a 1:1 school. Remember the mug? It talks about leading by example. We all know we are training kids for careers that don’t exist yet. How do we prepare them for that? If you look at the ISTE educator standards they really help set some guidelines to be a model 21st century learner.

Be an empowered professional:

Is this already part of your practice? Is this something you would like to add to make instruction more effective? How do you model what learning should look like for your students?

1. Learner
Do you work to continually improve your practice by learning from and with others? Do you leverage proven and promising practices that leverage technology?

2. Leader

Do you seek out opportunities for leadership to support student empowerment and success? Do you seek out opportunities to improve teaching and learning?

3. Citizen

How do you inspire students to positively contribute to and responsibly participate in the digital world?

Be a Learning Catalyst

Collaboration, designing learner driven activities and more. How are you part of provoking change in your own practice, your students and your building?

4. Collaborator

Discovering and sharing resources, ideas and solving problems, dedicating time to collaborate with colleagues and students to improve practice. Does this sound like you?

5. Designer

A designer uses technology to create, adapt and personalize learning experiences and designs authentic learning activities.

6. Facilitator

Do you facilitate learning with technology to support students’ achievement of the 2016 ISTE Standards for Students? This might look like fostering a culture where students take ownership of their learning goals and outcomes. You might model and nurture creativity.

7. Analyst

Understanding and using data to drive instruction, providing alternative ways for students to demonstrate competence

I want my new mug to say “I’m preparing students for a future that is ever changing and evolving, I will model what learning in the 21st century looks like and help my students achieve it. As a Superhero teacher I can be a catalyst for change. I will be successful because I am the teacher”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do I Share the Summary of Results from Google Forms with Others?

Google Docs: Add Numbers and Prefixes to Lists

GMail: Create a Parent Distribution List from Skyward